WHAT IS KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
Kinesiology tape is an elastic tape made of tightly woven elasticated cotton (97%) and nylon (3%) fibres. The glue on the tape is acrylic, highly durable and waterproof so tape can be worn for up to a week withstanding vigorous movement, sweat and total emersion in water. When applied in a vaguely correct manner research has shown that tape can lead to various positive changes including less pain, improved movement, more power and better muscular endurance. Rocktape is premium brand of tape specifically designed to meet the demands of athletes.
WHAT ITS NOT
The tape does not contain any medication or drugs. Different colours are cosmetic only, all colours of tape have the same elasticity and therefore benefits. Tape is not a replacement for sensible injury management and thorough rehab. If you are in doubt about what causes your pain or you have a pain that’s not getting better go see an experienced, qualified therapist/professional.
YOU WILL NEED
- Long strip- length of thigh.
- Short strip- Approx 1/3 of long strip
- Stand with the leg crossed behind other leg and foot rolled in. Maintain this stretch position throughout the application.
- Apply end of the long strip of tape with no stretch just below sore spot on the outside of knee, lay the tape with paper off stretch directly over the ITB on the outside of thigh (Pic 1 and 2)
- Short strip: Tear the paper in the centre of the tape, peel it back to expose the middle half of tape and stretch it 75% (Pic 3). Lay this directly over the sorest spot and lay each end down with no stretch. (Pic 4)
- Rub the entire application all over to activate the glue and ensure a good stick