WHAT IS KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
Kinesiology tape is an elastic tape made of tightly woven elasticated cotton (97%) and nylon (3%) fibres. The glue on the tape is acrylic, highly durable and waterproof so tape can be worn for up to a week withstanding vigorous movement, sweat and total emersion in water. When applied in a vaguely correct manner research has shown that tape can lead to various positive changes including less pain, improved movement, more power and better muscular endurance. Rocktape is premium brand of tape specifically designed to meet the demands of athletes.
WHAT ITS NOT
The tape does not contain any medication or drugs. Different colours are cosmetic only, all colours of tape have the same elasticity and therefore benefits. Tape is not a replacement for sensible injury management and thorough rehab. If you are in doubt about what causes your pain or you have a pain that’s not getting better go see an experienced, qualified therapist/professional.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 Strip of tape long enough to go under heel and up both sides of calf.
- Apply middle of tape first just in front of heel (Pic 1)
- Pull toes and foot up toward knee to stretch calf muscle
- Apply tape with 25-50% stretch over diagonally over Achilles tendon (Pic2)
- Apply rest of strip with paper off stretch over muscle on opposite side to start point
- Repeat with second half of strip (Pic3)
- Remember to apply ends of tape with 0% stretch and rub all over tape to activate glue
- Tape should cross over point of maximum pain